Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fun with Decoupage - Make a Spiffy Flower Vase

In honor of approaching Spring (yes, I am anxious) I have a project in regular fashion of my other posts - easy, fun, and inexpensive.

I am a big fan of decoupage.  You really can't go wrong with decoupage because it's all about making a collage of your medium you are working with.  Overlapping is key!  I love to decoupage fabrics as well as papers of different strengths.  This vase is done with patterned tissue paper.

Supplies:  Tissue paper, scissors, decoupage adhesive, vase and paint brush.

I used a tissue paper I found a Target that I thought was fun - too fun to just use as wrapping decoration.  You will need decoupage glue - any kind should do. I am a fan of Royal Coat more than Modge Podge.  Although Modge Podge would work just fine.  You just want to make sure you have a decoupage that both glues and seals.   Make sure you have good scissors that cut finer papers well, a paint brush and a vase of your choice. I liked this one a lot that I found at Savers.  But keep in mind, the more curves you have on your vase, the harder it could be to properly decoupage papers on it with fewer bubbles.  I wound up using my thumb to smooth out bubbles, as well as the paint brush.

You will want to open the package of tissue paper and depending on your pattern, cut accordingly.  Something with no pattern - it doesn't matter how you cut, you will just want to cut small, stout pieces to fit curves better.  In my case, I cut length wise to have stripes going horizontally on my vase....vertically could work too!  It's up to you.
Bottom of vase.


 Start the vase upside down, beginning with the base.  For those who haven't used decoupage before, you want to cover the area you are working on first (small area to start), place the paper down, and then "seal" again with the decoupage.  It will dry clear and harden the paper you are working with.

Continue to apply paper as you wish, smoothing out bubbles as you go along.  The smaller the piece, the better you will be able to manipulate.   Have fun and fill it with some cheery flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment