Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Luck of the Irish: St. Patrick's Day Pins

Upon learning last year that there is apparently an ounce of Irish in me, I have taken to searching for fun St. Patrick's Day ideas.  I created these pins myself and plan on giving them to coworkers, my boss, and family just for fun.

I won't say they are exactly "easy" as you do have to be delicate with a glue gun and if you lack experience (heck, even if you are a veteran glue gunner) - plan on being burnt a couple times.  Towards the end of the 12 I made however, I was not burning myself at all!  This takes the "just a dab will do you" to a whole new level. Be careful!!

You will need:  bar pins, buttons that are at least a nickel size (smaller than this and it's too tricky), a decorative middle piece to hide your gluing.  I used both these mini flower decals, and I also used a smaller green button for some of the clovers.  And finally, ribbon.  Ironically the ribbon I used is not any of those shown here.  I found it easier to work with a skinnier ribbon.

To make the clover:  you will make repeated loops of the ribbon.  What I did is I got my first loop (shown to the right) and hot glued that down - just a dab!  Then once your first loop is secure, you can keep making loops to the right and left.  I apologize for lack of pictures of the looping process.  I take these photos on my own and hard to snap a photo whilst holding down a hot glued ribbon!  One day, I will get fancier and step up to the video aspect.

You can repeat dabs of hot glue for each loop, making your last dab of hot glue for the decoration in the middle.  Then once dry, turn over and hot glue your bar pin on!  Voila!


No comments:

Post a Comment