Sunday, April 15, 2012

April Showers Bring May Flowers - Front Door Decoration


 Without thinking too much about it, I have just now realized my obsession over the past several months with creating new front door decorations.  Part of it is the fact I have a very old door and a very newly painted house, so I want to add something to the door to make it as aesthetically pleasing as the rest of the house.  So until we replace the old door, here's to another front door accessory!

I created this one using solely Dollar Tree items.  In total, this costs $6 to make!  You could get the same materials anywhere, I just like the challenge of finding the most inexpensive items to transform into something fun!  Before I get into the instructions, I must admit - I really hate fake flowers.  And not all fake flowers, as I had them at my wedding (those were high end) but I usually hate the real cheap ones that fall apart as you use them.  This project however, I have overcome much of my hatred!

For this project, you will need:
*3 mini watering cans of your choice (Dollar Tree also had this style in Kelly Green)
*3 bunches of flowers -preferably ones that won't look silly "spilling" from the can.  Smaller flowers work best.
*Hot glue gun (not pictured)
*Small Drill (not shown) - could also use a nail and hammer with frozen water method.  If you don't know what I am talking about with this, just look up online "poke holes in tin/freeze water" and you will get to it.  
*Twine - thin

You will want to poke/drill your holes first.  I just did one hole at the bottom of 2 of my 3 cans.  You could put holes at the top and bottom to have your twine run all the way through the cans.  I didn't feel like getting into that much and liked the idea of running the twine from the inside of the cans, to the handle of the next can.
Next, you will want to run the twine through your first can and make a knot.  This should be a big enough knot to hold inside the can.

Then, you will let out the twine about 9 inches, and tie to your next can, making it about 7-8 inches apart from each other.

You will repeat these steps for the second can, making a knot and tying to the last can so that you have something resembling this:

 Then, the flowers.  I took my bunches and folded them down to where they would fit into the cans, but still look like they were flowing out of it.  I cut off the bottom chunk.

Then, generously fill the bottom of your can (the side where you had that hole and knotted twine) and place the bunch of flowers inside until they are firmly in place.  Do these for all the cans, and you're done!  Hang and enjoy!  A front door decoration for April-May.

No comments:

Post a Comment