Sunday, February 19, 2012

Crafting a Space That's Right for You

I took advantage of this weekend by converting the bedroom/office in our cute little bungalow into a bedroom/craft room for myself.

Literally everything for the set up was things we already had around the house.  Two things motivated me to do it this weekend:  1)  The white storage embellishment storage unit on the desk was given to me from a coworker who had one too many (?!!?)...SCORE.  And 2) While looking on my Pinterest Account for craft storage ideas I saw so many people have converted literal closets into craft rooms.  I have more than a closet to use, so I asked myself what the heck I was waiting for?!  I jumped right on this set up starting Friday night.

The fun note about this desk is it is my husband's from his childhood, built by his Dad.  The top shelf unit, as well as the 3 metal pull out drawers are all also made by my father in law.  But you can certainly find things similar or make them!

Coincidentally my husband and I are condensing items for a yard sale this Spring.  Plus, seeking out a new storage unit for our copious amounts of vinyl records.  That being said, we had a spare DVD shelf that my father in law had built for us years back when we lived in our apartment.  Works quite nicely as craft storage!!

The top shelf is all mason jars (have even more in the basement).  I love, love, love mason jars.  I don't know what it is about them, I find them to be useful and attractive.  I chose to not have the lids on mine because it just seems silly given how often I craft, I will be in and out of them often!














Again, I got this embellishment storage center for free but I have heard that you can either use a coupon or, they are very often on sale at 40% off.  You can find more information here.  You can mount it on the wall, or it sits very sturdy and quite well on a desk.  To be honest, this thing is fairly heavy and I wouldn't trust it on just any wall.  This was confirmed by my carpenter father in law this weekend when he laughed at the attachments they give you for it.  My wall in the bedroom just isn't one leaving me feeling confident, so I chose to rest my storage unit on the desk top.  Not to mention, if that thing ever fell off the wall, imagine all the exploded messes you would have!

Anyway, this was so much fun this weekend.  I can't wait to do my first project at it.  Which will be, ironically, decoration for the embellishment center!  Try out organizing your current supplies.  I bet you will be blown away by what you already have without having to spend too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment